ADA Ramps and Wheelchair Ramps
Disability accessibility is a necessity and a law in Austin whether your buildings are offices, educational facilities, condominiums or any other place where people can or will need access. There are ADA laws regarding ramps, lighting and more.
All Facilities Require ADA Access
Across the country, facilities are required to be safe and accessible. In addition, they must comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, which prohibits discrimination towards individuals with disabilities. Therefore, businesses and parking lots that are ADA compliant have created appropriate parking spaces, ramps and signage to accommodate individuals with disabilities according to the stated ADA Accessibility Guidelines.
U. S. Pave Austin has the skills, experience and ability to create any ramps, including wheelchair ramps for your building or parking facilities. In addition, you can depend on our team to provide excellent workmanship promptly to keep your business in line with regulations and accessible to everyone.
ADA Compliance for Wheelchair Ramps
The requirements regarding ramps include several areas, including the length and slope of the ramp, handrail construction and landing size and placement. State and local building codes may have additional requirements, but they cannot be less than full ADA compliance.
To be in ADA compliance, all ramps must include the following:
- Ramps may not slope more than a ratio of 1:12, meaning there is a maximum slope of 1 vertical inch for every 12 inches of horizontal length.
- Ramps must be at least 36 inches wide, more in some areas.
- Ramps must have protected edges to prevent falling.
- The top and bottom of the ramp must have landings of at least 36 inches (or the width of the ramp.) These landings are to be at least 60 inches long. The landing must total 5 square feet.
- If a ramp is higher than 6 inches or longer than 72 inches, it must have handrails on both sides.
These are not the only ADA regulations for ramps, but some of the commonly needed ones. U.S. Pave trains our crews in ADA compliance so you can rest assured knowing things are done to the highest standards. Contact U.S. Pave Austin today to schedule your free estimate. Find out how easily you can bring your building into ADA compliance and make it accessible to everyone.