It’s important to correctly identify types of asphalt damage and their causes in order to do a proper repair and prevent future damage to your commercial property. US Pave provides professional damage analysis and repair for all your asphalt needs throughout Florida. You may encounter these different types of damage to your asphalt surfaces:
Traffic-Related Asphalt Damage
- Potholes and Blowouts – When cracks are not repaired, a pothole develops. Potholes turn into huge blowouts. Both can cause accidents and damage.
- Rutting – Lines of damage following the path of traffic caused by overweight vehicles.
- Shoving – Bumps and raised areas appear over time due to constant starting and stopping of vehicles.
Damage Due to Improper Asphalt Installation or Repair
- Reflection Cracks – Cracks that develop in a similar pattern over previous underlying cracks that were improperly repaired at one time.
- Block Cracks – Circular or square cracks which appear 2 to 3 years after a previous application or repair using a dry or old mix.
- Slippage Cracks – Deep surface gaps and wrinkles on the surface of pavement from a poorly adhered top layer installation using too much sand in the mix.
- Fatigue Cracks – Common; looks like scales of an alligator from original installation not designed for poor drainage or fluctuating temperatures.
- Linear and Transverse Cracks – Cracks occur where panels or strips of asphalt are improperly joined during installation.
Environmental and Time-Related Asphalt Damage
- Upheaval – Not as prevalent in Florida, since occurs with frost or underlying soil that swells and expands.
- Raveling – Over time, the surface of the asphalt can oxidize, causing the gravel from the asphalt to loosen, break away or spread. This makes the surface very weak and can be a bigger problem if not addressed quickly.
- Sinkholes – Dangerous holes that form due to the erosion of the subsurface.
- Root Cracks – Tree roots growing up and from under the asphalt surface as raided bumps that crack over time.
- Edge Cracking – Long cracks that run along the edge of the pavement in the direction of traffic. Caused by dirt erosion, vegetation along the outer edge of the road as the road dries out and shrinks over time.
Our experienced pros at U.S. Pave will properly identify and repair all types of asphalt damage for our residential and commercial clients in Florida. Before you approach your asphalt repair or installation project, call us for your free consultation.
Posted on behalf of
U.S. Pave is a full-service paving maintenance and installation company serving all of Florida with Parking Lot Maintenance, New Asphalt Construction, Asphalt Patching and Repair, Parking Lot Crack Repair, Pothole Repair, Parking Lot Resurfacing (Overlay), Parking Lot Sealcoating or Resealing, Concrete Maintenance, Concrete Flatwork, Concrete Car Stops, Flow line / Curb & Gutter, Trip-hazard Removal/Grinding, Parking Lot Striping, Signage, Bollards, ADA Compliance and Upgrades, Catch Basins, Sweeping and Porter Services.
Whether you’re in need of a small repair or a new construction project, U.S. Pave's dedicated team has you covered.
For more information on our services contact us today at (954) 210-7481.